Website URL : http://www.ucu.org.uk/1716
Campaign update: 6 December 2013
3 December - Strike report | Your Questions Answered | UCU CPD programme | Events and other items
Welcome to this week's UCU Campaigns Update.
- 3 December - Strike report
- Your Questions Answered
- UCU CPD programme, blog and resources
- Events and other items
1. 3 December - Strike report:
Our thanks to every member who took strike action on 3 December and supported the union's campaign for fair pay. It was a day of action all over the country in universities across the UK and in English FE colleges. You can see the whole day and follow it as it happened on our Live Blog.
Despite the busy news week, the strike action won a lot of coverage in the press, both nationally and regionally.
In higher education, the employers' organisation UCEA trotted out its usual line that the 1% offer was all they could afford, yet UCU has today published a new briefing showing that according to their own forecasts, universities have good, healthy surpluses and reserves.
The union's higher education committee is meeting today (Friday) to discuss and agree the next steps in the higher education campaign, while the further education committee will meet in January. In the meantime, the importance of campaigning on pay was highlighted this week by the publication of ONS statistics showing the role of wage freezes in stagnating household incomes.
2. Your Questions Answered
When does a resignation take effect?
3. UCU CPD programme, blog and resources
A reminder about our new professional development programme 'UCU Learning for Life' which from you can access free via this blogsite, containing a great range of downloadable guides, courses and up-to-date advice aimed at helping you develop skills and get the most from your career.
4. Events and other items:
- Lobbying Bill threatens union members' privacy - sign the TUC petition: The TUC has launched a petition to keep union membership a personal matter after it was revealed that the controversial Lobbying Bill would allow state access to union membership lists.
- SAVE THE DATE: 'Defend Public Education: from cradle to grave' - 1st February 2014: This free conference, supported by NUT and NUS will be held in Central London and will identify and explore different ways to campaign to resist the disastrous education policies and cuts imposed by the Coalition Government. Watch this space for more soon.
All the best,
Head of Campaigns, UCU