Website URL : http://www.ucu.org.uk/1716
Campaign update: 7 March 2014
Funding cuts lobby of parliament | UCLan, Lambeth and York | HE dispute strike fund | 'Policy Hub' | Your Questions answered | UCU Comments | Events and other item
Welcome to this week's UCU Campaigns Update.
- UCU fighting funding cuts: join the lobby of parliament on Wednesday, 2 April 2014
- Local disputes campaigning roundup: UCLan, Lambeth and York
- HE pay dispute: a reminder about our strike fund
- UCU launches new 'Policy Hub'
- Your Questions answered
- UCU Comments - union calls for radical overhaul of apprenticeships
- Events and other items
1. UCU fighting funding cuts: join the lobby of parliament on Wednesday, 2 April 2014:
In response to funding cuts in further, higher and adult education, we are organising a mass lobby of parliament on Wednesday, 2 April 2014 between 2pm and 4pm. We need as many members as possible to come to the Houses of Parliament on this date to tell their MP why investing in post-16 education is of vital importance. Please read this lobby briefing for details on how you can get involved.
2. Local disputes campaigning roundup: UCLan, Lambeth and York:
UCU members at UCLan are taking their second successive day of strike action today (Friday) as part of their dispute over job cuts and downgrading at the university. The branch report that their strike was well supported, with a lunchtime rally and good local media coverage.
Meanwhile at Lambeth College, UCU members will ballot for action in protest at management proposals to introduce new contracts that radically lengthen annual teaching hours and slash holiday.
The UCU branch at York University are also campaigning against a proposed joint venture with INTO University Partnerships.
3. HE pay dispute: a reminder about our strike fund:
A reminder to all members who have been affected by punitive pay deductions that you can claim support from our strike fund using our online form. *Every* member who has had pay docked at a punitive rate (for example, more than 2 hours pay for a 2 hour strike or those who have been disproportionately affected, such as hourly-paid or part-time staff) will be able to claim up to £50 *per strike* in strike pay for the three two-hour strikes.
4. UCU launches new 'Policy Hub':
UCU has launched a new policy hub, containing new policy and discussion papers on vocational education, teaching professionalism, the Youth Resolution, widening participation, privatisation, MOOCs and much more besides. Check out these papers and comment online.
5. Your Questions answered:
What is the new ACAS conciliation scheme and how does it affect claims to an employment tribunal?
6. UCU Comments - union calls for radical overhaul of apprenticeships:
UCU General Secretary Sally Hunt used a blog in the TES this week to call for a radical overhaul to apprenticeships to make them more rounded qualifications that command decent pay rates and which are best delivered by our Further Education Colleges.
7. Events and other items:
- Prison Education Staff Annual Meeting - 28 March 2014: Deadline for registrations - Friday 14 March 2014.
- UCU Congress 2014: REGISTRATION IS OPEN. Click here for more details and how to register and delegate entitlements.
- Stand up to racism and fascism - No to scapegoating, No to Islamophobia, Yes to diversity: day of action, 22 March.
- Universities not border police - sign the petition: As universities come under more pressure to police the immigration details of students, campaigners have launched a new petition calling for Universities UK (UUK) to reject requests to act for the Border Agency.
All the best,
Head of Campaigns, UCU