Website URL : http://www.ucu.org.uk/1716
Campaign update: 25 September 2015
In the news | 'Prevent duty' guidance | Open University closures | Trade Union Bill | FE pay ballot | Defend education at Ulster University | Fighting for decent and secure jobs | End austerity now demo | End Bahrain human rights abuses | Impact of cuts to ESOL | Religion programme at University of Stirling | Events, updates and publications
In this week's campaigns update:
- In the news
- Updated 'Prevent duty' guidance
- Open University to close regional centres putting 500 staff at risk
- Protect the right to strike - stop the Trade Union Bill
- Further education (FE) pay ballot
- Defend education at Ulster University
- UCU fighting for decent and secure jobs
- End austerity now: demonstrate at Tory party conference, Sunday 4 October
- UCU calls for end to Bahrain human rights abuses
- NUS call for evidence: the impact of cuts to ESOL
- Keep the religion programme at University of Stirling
- Events, updates and publications
1. In the news
- New terror laws under fire as students and pupils quizzed
- TV doc joins Open University cuts criticism
- Poorest students will be hit hardest under government fee reforms
- Jobs threat at Bradford College as funding for English courses axed
- Swansea University's reputation tarnished by offensive dean
All this and more here.
2. Updated 'Prevent duty' guidance
We have now updated our guidance on the 'Prevent duty' or Counter-terrorism and Security Act which the union believes represents a draconian crackdown on the rights of academics and students.
3. Open University to close regional centres putting 500 staff at risk
The Open University (OU) is putting forward a proposal to its council meeting on 24 November to close seven of the nine regional centres with a loss of 500 staff. UCU is opposing this vigorously and the OU branch holding a consultative ballot of members. You can see a statement against the proposal here from the branch president along with the UCU press release. Please help us by signing the petition here and sending messages to the vice-chancellor (VC), Peter Horrocks, opposing this drastic cut: email@example.com. Please send messages of support to the branch to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Protect the right to strike - stop the Trade Union Bill
With proposed legislation threatening a serious attack on trade union rights, nearly 800 of you have now written to your MPs to raise the issue using our online tool. Thank you. We have produced this briefing explaining the implications of the bill and our key concerns.
Please help us defend trade union rights by:
5. Further education (FE) pay ballot
The union's campaign for fair pay in further education continues and the ballot of members in England opens next week on 28 September and closes 15 October 2015.
6. Defend education at Ulster University
The union has declared a dispute at Ulster University over plans to cut jobs across several departments including the highly successful school of modern languages. UCU believes management has failed to properly consult over redundancies and the branch say proposals lack rationale, unfairly target particular areas and threaten the breadth of education offered to students. Please tweet support to @UCU_Ulster.
7. UCU fighting for decent and secure jobs
UCU has updated its popular guides to knowing your rights and coping with life on a casual contract. You can download and distribute the hourly-paid survival guide and the researchers' survival guide.
Campaigning for decent and secure jobs is one of UCU's biggest priorities - everyone knows someone on a casualised contract so make sure they've seen these resources and send them a link to join the union that's fighting for decent and secure jobs.
8. End austerity now: demonstrate at Tory party conference, Sunday 4 October
UCU will be joining trade unions and anti-austerity campaigners outside the Tory party conference in Manchester on 4 October to demand 'no to austerity and yes to workers' rights'. Assemble 12 noon on Oxford Road from All Saints Park followed by opening rally and music at 1pm - see full programme here.
9. UCU calls for end to Bahrain human rights abuses
UCU has joined other unions to lead a campaign highlighting human rights abuses in Bahrain and Britain's failure to act on the issue.
10. NUS call for evidence: the impact of cuts to ESOL
The National Union of Students (NUS) plan to run a new campaign to raise awareness of the importance of ESOL availability, particularly in relation to recent debates about migrant assimilation and the Syrian refugee crisis. They would love to hear from UCU members who have particularly been affected by the impact of ESOL cuts. Contact David.Morris@nus.org.uk
11. Keep the religion programme at University of Stirling
Over the summer the University of Stirling instigated a review of the sustainability of its Religion programme. UCU has been deeply concerned at the way this is being carried out, along with the uncertainty facing our members. Please show your support to the Religion programme and staff and students, by signing the petition.
12. Events, updates and publications
All the best,
UCU head of campaigns