Website URL : http://www.ucu.org.uk/1915
All for race equality
We are now four years into the <em>Race Relations Amendment Act</em> and it is with some concern that we report little has changed in both the FE and HE sectors.
- still struggle to produce race equality policies which reflect the uniqueness of their institution;
- routinely fail to produce pre-emptive Race Equality Impact Assessments to ascertain whether a particular policy or procedure may have an adverse impact on ethnic minorities;
- less than 1% of Principals are black;
- governing boards do not reflect the constituency they serve.
- still grapple with the issue of Race Equality Impact Assessments often completing them after rather than before a procedural or policy shift;
- black staff are usually concentrated in the lower levels of the staffing structure;
- black staff appear to lack access to traditional progression routes;
- there is only 1(one) black university pro vice chancellor.