USS is now under attack

  • The employers want to end guaranteed pension benefits.
  • They say your final pension should depend on how your 'investments' perform and not on your contributions.
  • We say it's wrong to risk our members' futures.

Click here for more information

Retiring abroad

3 November 2005

Payment of the TPS or USS pensions is not dependent on country of residence. In TP your pension can be paid direct into an overseas bank account in the majority of countries. In USS your pension needs to be paid into a UK bank.

Prior to moving abroad contact your Department of Work and Pensions office.

Payment of the state flat-rate pension will be automatic, but any subsequent inflation increases will only be received if the new country of residence is within the European Union or there is an appropriate reciprocal agreement with the UK.

Last updated: 31 July 2012