UCU works closely with other unions on matters of common concern, often jointly lobbying government and other bodies on employment and educational issues.
These include the National Union of Teachers (NUT), the National Association of Schoolmasters/Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT), the Association of Teachers and Lecturers (ATL) and UNISON.
In Scotland, UCU Scotland works closely with the other unions in education, including the Educational Institute of Scotland, the main union in school and further education.
Joint membership arrangements, giving membership of both UCU and the partner organisation at little or no extra cost, are available with:
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- British Orthodontic Society (BOS)
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP)
- National Union of Teachers (NUT)
- National Union of Journalists (NUJ)
- Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
- Royal College of Midwives (RCM)
- Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists (SCP)
- Society of Radiographers (SoR)
UCU is affiliated to the Trades Union Congress (TUC), and sends delegates to its annual congress and to its women's and black members, disabled and LGBT conferences.