HE national disputes 2021

Boycott Leicester

Other pension schemes

20 September 2005

Members working in further or higher education in England, Wales and Northern Ireland will normally be in either the Teachers' Pension Scheme or the Universities Superannuation Scheme.

A smaller number of members may be invited to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) as applicable to their post.

Those in Scottish conference sector institutions may be covered by the Scottish Teachers' Superannuation Scheme (STSS) or a local government scheme.

Scottish Teachers' Superannuation Scheme (STSS)

The scheme covers academic staff in the Scottish conference sector and some of those transferred to other universities on merger.

It is administered by the Scottish Public Pensions Agency (SPPA). In most cases the scheme applies in the same way as TPS. The employees contribution is 6.4% and the employers contribution is 13.5%. It has a wind-down scheme as you approach retirement as well as the phased retirement.

Northern Ireland Teachers' Pension Scheme

This scheme covers the post-1992 section of education and is similar to the English and Welsh Teachers Pension Scheme.

Medical Research Council Pension Scheme

This covers staff appointed to work for the Medical Research Council; it is similar to TPS, but is a funded scheme and has member-nominated trustees.

Local Government Pension Schemes

The rules of LGPS are contained in statutory regulations similar to those governing TPS and are funded schemes run by local authorities.

Stakeholder, state & other pensions

Stakeholder pensions These are a tax efficient investment with low charges. They can be used as an alternative to AVCs . The stakeholder rules also permit unemployed and non-working spouses to have a plan. Independent financial advice should be sought. See also the section on AVCs.

Further information is available from the Pension Service: www.hmrc.gov.uk/stakepension

Teachers' National Stakeholder Pension This is a sub-section of the TUC Stakeholder Scheme provided by Prudential. It should not be viewed as an alternative to membership of TPS.

State and other pensions The Department for Work and Pensions has published a series of handbooks covering pension issues and these can be obtained from your local DWP office: Pensions Direct, Tyneview Park, Whitley Road, Benton, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE98 1BA or from the website www.thepensionservice.gov.uk.

For information on your social security retirement pension, state widow's/widower's benefit and any other state benefits, please contact the Retirement Pension Forecast Unit on 0845 300 0168 (local call rates apply) textphone 0845 3000 169), Typetalk number is 18001 0845 3000 168 or visit the website for an online request.

Already a state pensioner? For general advice on your state pension, widow's or bereavement already paid direct into a bank or building society account, telephone 0845 301 3011 (local rate) or Textphone 0845 301 3012 (local rate).

Pension credit application line To apply for pension credit call 0800 99 1234 (free) or textphone 0800 169 0133 (free) or visit www.thepensionservice.gov.uk.

Last updated: 18 March 2019