Casualised contract information for members
This part of the resources pages are aimed at fixed-term, hourly paid and members on other types of casualised contracts.
The links below are intended to help you understand the issues and the legislation regarding casualised contracts and we hope that you find it useful.
However, before taking any action you should talk to your branch or local association. It's likely that there will be other UCU members in the same position and the branch/LA will be able to provide you with local information and any support and advice that you may need.
As well as the pages below, see also:
- Written statement of terms and conditions
- UCU commentary on the part-time work regulations
- UCU commentary on the fixed-term regulations
- Advice for members on hourly paid teaching contracts on accessing Working Tax Credits [201kb] (opens in a new window)
- Maternity rights for fixed term contracts and casually employed staff: UCU guidance, May 15 [204kb] (opens in a new window)
Collective grievance guidance [180kb] (opens in a new window)
Collective grievance guidance [174kb] (opens in a new window)
Hourly paid staff make a huge contribution to the education sector and yet the vast majority are low paid and have no job security or career progression. UCU's 'hourly paid survival guide' uses the experience and advice of members to provide a practical resource for such staff.
Fixed Term Employees (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2002 - Regulation 9 - Requesting confirmation of permanence from your employer
Fixed Term Employees (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2002 - Regulation 5 - Requesting a written statement from your employer